The Salvadorian air
post service was established when Pan American Airways
informed the government that it would be ready to accept mail
for transportation effective 15 December 1929. As the
government did not had yet special stamps for the service, it
was postponed until 1 January 1930.
The first issue was prepared surcharging existing
ordinary stamps, as the definitive issue was due to arrive later
in the year. To comply with the new postal tariffs, the
following surcharges were made: 15 cents on 10 cents, 20 cents
on 20 cents, 25 cents on 35 cents, 40 cents on 50 cents and
50 cents on 1 colon. The surcharges were made by the Taller
Nacional de Grabados.
Due to high demand the limited stock of these
first surcharges was quickly exhausted. Therefore, the
Government made a second printing of all values, except of the
40 cents. This second printing was done by the Tribunal
Superior de Cuentas because of the need to have them as soon
There are several varieties for each surcharge
in both the first and second printings. In general, they
all occur in the same position on every sheet.
Pan American Airways started its three days a
week flights on 15 December 1929. Its Ford NC 9670 airplane
flew from Guatemala to San Lorenzo in Honduras and returning
to Guatemala the same day. In both flights, airplanes
stopped in the San Salvador airport named Ilopango.